Asparagus and Haloumi Kebabs with Chaloner Green Olive Tapenade Basting
The season for asparagus is here and they are just the most wonderful summer vegetable to cook with. We love pairing asparagus with our delicious green olive and almond tapenade; add some delicious crispy haloumi and you’ve got a winning dish. These kebabs are the perfect light accompaniment to a summer braai.
For the kebabs
8-10 wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes
24 asparagus stalks, bottoms trimmed and then cut in half
500 grams Haloumi cheese
For the basting
2 tablespoons Chaloner green olive and almond tapenade
A small handful of basil, finely chopped
A small handful of parsley, finely chopped
A small handful of rosemary, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ cup Chaloner olive oil
Zest of 1 lemon and the juice of half
1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
Salt and pepper
- Blanche the asparagus in boiling water until just tender, about 1-2 minutes then refresh them in cold water and leave to cool and drain in a colander.
- In the meantime cut the haloumi into 1cm-thick slices, then halve each slice lengthways to form a piece about the same size as the asparagus halves.
- Thread two pieces of asparagus and the haloumi alternately onto your soaked skewers.
- To make the basting, add all the ingredients to a bowl and whisk with a fork until well combined.
- Heat a griddle pan over medium to high heat, brush the kebabs with the basting sauce and char-grill, turning occasionally and basting as you go, until haloumi is golden and asparagus tender; this usually takes about 2-3 minutes per side.