When we think of Easter we think of hot cross buns, chocolate and of course our delicious range of Chaloner jams and preserves. Well we decided to combine all of these ingredients to create an absolutely mouth-watering dessert perfect for the Easter weekend. We have chosen to use chocolate chip hot cross buns but this recipe works just as well with the good ol’ fashioned ones.
6 to 8 hot cross buns (chocolate chip or plain)
Chaloner Raspberry Preserve with a Hint of Vanilla
6 to 8 knobs of butter
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
150g caster sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 eggs, beaten
500ml milk, warmed
Brown sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and slice the hot cross buns in half. Spread generously with the Chaloner raspberry preserve and pack them snugly in a buttered dish. Add a knob of butter to each bottom slice before placing the top slice above.
- In a bowl, mix together the cinnamon and caster sugar and then whisk in the beaten egg and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the warm milk.
- Pour the mixture over the bun and allow to stand for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Top with fresh raspberries and icing sugar before serving.
Serve with vanilla ice-cream or traditional custard.